Tonight will be a little different, but in a good way! We will be having a really short meeting from 5:15 – 5:45 pm in SERC 1059 to discuss upcoming social events and chapter business. Then we will head to SERC 1013 to listen to the company Dynetics give a presentation as a joint meeting with IEEE and SWE at 6pm. Dynetics will be providing free food so be sure to come!
See ya tonight!
This is just a reminder that we will be meeting tomorrow, September 30, at 5:15pm in SERC 1059. We will be having a few students come up and present their research as well as feast on free pizza and drinks.
Hope to see you there!
NAPW honors Jennifer Hardesty as a 2014 Professional Woman of the Year. Ms. Hardesty is recognized with this prestigious distinction for leadership in information technology (IT). As the largest, most-recognized networking organization of professional women in the country every industry and profession, the National Association of Professional Women is a powerfully vibrant networking community with over 600,000 members and nearly 300 Local Chapters.
Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2156530#ixzz3CHV3Gde5
I hope everyone had a fantastic summer and first day of classes. I would especially like to extend a warm welcome to all of our new freshmen and transfer students.
The Association of Computing Machinery is the professional organization for Computer Science students here at UA. Getting involved is one of the best ways to adjust to college life and meet new people. At ACM, we aim to serve the students both socially and academically. We meet every other week to discuss breaking tech news, listen to talks from faculty, students, and companies, and just generally have a good time. We also program several social events each semester. Our events from last semester included card/board game nights, movie nights, a St. Patrick’s Day potluck, and a bowling night. We have another exciting semester in the works, so everyone should stay tuned.
Our first official meeting with be Tuesday, September 2nd at 5:15pm. We will send out another email to remind you guys and let you know what room it will be in. In the meantime we will have a table set up at Get on Board Day, so make sure to stop by to introduce yourselves.
If you all were not aware, the CS department offers a Software Engineering concentration. This is a really exciting opportunity if you are interested in software engineering as it fits in nicely with the CS curriculum. Computer Security (CS428) has been newly designated as meeting a requirement in the software engineering specialization. To find out more information, you can check out the webpage here<http://cs.ua.edu/undergraduate/software-engineering/>.
If you have any questions about ACM, the CS department, or college life in general, please do not hesitate to contact me or any of the other ACM officers.
Here are some of the things we covered at this week’s meeting.
- Start giving dues to Connor. They are ten dollars and include a t-shirt! When you give your money, also give your shirt size so we can start ordering them.
- There is still time to join a committee! If you would like to help plan fun social events, computer science events, or plan food for meetings now is your chance. Contact the chair heads by email and they will set you up.
Social – David at firstname.lastname@example.org
Event – Josh Sharpe at email@example.com
Food – Nico at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are not on the mailing list and would like to be please send an email to Cassidy at email@example.com
General CS News
- Programming Competition meetings are held once a week. The goal is to go to competition at Auburn in early April and kick butt! If you’re interested contact Josh Sharpe at firstname.lastname@example.org
- CS 360 Group Study Sessions will be held on Tuesdays at 5:15 pm alternating with ACM meetings. However, the first one will be this upcoming Thursday 2/6/2014 in SERC 2039. There will be upperclassmen to help out and if you are interested in helping contact one of the officers!
- Android App Development Seminars will be held in preparation for a hackathon. The first seminar will be held sometime in March. If you’ve got experience and would be willing to help lead and teach please email Josh Sharpe (email above).
- Whedon Marathon will be held this Saturday, February 8th and 7pm in the CS Lounge (Houser 107). We will send out an RSVP if you would like to get together to chip in for pizza.
- Science Olympiad will be on February 22nd from 11-12pm. If you would like to volunteer to help please let Melissa know.
- Next meeting will be held next Tuesday, February 11th. National Oilwell Varco Branding Company will be speaking about internship opportunities so make sure to be there! It will be in SERC 1014.
Hey ACM Minions!
Our second meeting of the semester has finally arrived! It’s tonight at 5:15 in SERC room 1059. Due to the snow madness, our guest speaker will not be able to attend this meeting. However, the officers have prepared a special surprise so be ready to have some fun! There will be lots of events and updates announced so make sure to spread the word.
See you there!
Our first ACM Meeting of the semester will be TOMORROW, January 14, at 5:15pm in SERC 1014. We will be discussing a lot of exciting upcoming events, so make sure to spread the word.
Hope to see you there!
Our last official meeting of the semester has come and gone, and we now have a new set of officers:
President: Melissa Jenkins
Vice-President: Josh Wolfe
Secretary: Cassidy Lamm
Treasurer: Conner Lines
Congratulations to these fine folk, and best of luck to them next year as they manage the ACM.
We will have a Halloween Party Oct 29th from 5pm -7pm in the Shelby Rotunda. Dinner will be Full Moon barbecue and there will be a pumpkin decorating contest.
See you there!
Hello ACM Members,
We will be holding our next meeting tonight at 5:15 P.M. in SERC 1059. We will have a guest speaker from CERNER talking to us about the company and the internships and career opportunities they offer to Computer Science students. Attached is a flyer with more information about opportunities at CERNER.
The ACM Officers